Working to improve sales at small companies is always challenging. Every company leader I work with wants rapid, exponential growth. It’s not that exponential growth isn’t possible, but there’s a lot of change that needs to happen and few resources to make it happen with. Many of the company leaders I work with want to get sales off their plate. They wish sales would function optimally and without them.
The Bad NewsAs the company leader, you always have a role in the sales process. Click To Tweet
As the company leader, you always have a role in the sales process. Even if you have a VP of sales or another C-level person in charge of sales who is 100 percent focused on the sales process. The ultimate responsibility rests with you. That may be bad news for you. Understanding and being involved in sales can prevent you from making the critical mistakes that can bring companies to their knees and anger stakeholders and investors.
“Your role is to understand the sales process, sales cycle, your customers and market with the help of your team so that you can create a strategy, set sales goals that are achievable and please the customers.”
Whether you’re doing all the sales yourself, managing a few salespeople, or even supporting sales leaders who are managing teams of salespeople, now is a good time to stop and think about your sales organization and your role in it.
What will it take for you, as a company leader, to become an exceptional sales leader?
Here are a few questions to help you think it through:
- What are the outcomes I want from sales?
- What do I need to know about sales for this company to be successful?
- What do I need to know to achieve the sales growth needed?
- What role should I play in strategy and process?
- What is my role with the sales team?
- What is my role with our customers?
- What role do the others in my company play in the sales process?
- What help will I need?
The answers to these questions will help you on your path to becoming exceptional. On your way, you will see higher engagement from your sales team and sales increases you haven’t seen before. Exceptional sales growth requires exceptional leadership. Are you ready?
To continue your journey to being an exceptional sales leader STAY TUNED! My book will be available for pre-order soon.
Sign up to receive great content, news of live training and notifications about the book.
Latest posts by Alice Heiman (see all)
- If You Want to Be a Leader, Do Deep Work - September 12, 2018
- Desperate for Leads? Keep Your Funnel Flowing - August 29, 2018
- Poorly Positioned: Ask Your Sales Reps These Questions to Close More Deals - August 22, 2018